Thursday 2 July 2015

YOU ARE NOT ILLITERATE, NEITHER ARE THE DOCTORS...

First day of my internship! I was over enthusiastic and soon I came to know the real challenges I was to face in my day-to-day life for being a medico.
             It's not that we, medicos always blame the other party for any untoward incident but we do most of the times. And I think we blame it right. Well, I know what's in your mind. All medicos are in my support and the others are not. Here, I am sharing a few instances when patient-parties were not satisfied with my services.
              I was posted in NICU. One evening, a two days old baby with life supporting system rushed in. Ideally, no attendant is permitted inside but they were more than five. "It's ICU, you should not be inside. Stay one, others go outside." I told them. (Since morning I  have uttered the same sentence many times to many patient parties.) I repeated thrice, they overheard. and lastly when I was loud, one of them shouted at me, "I know this is ICU. I am M.Sc., my younger brother is MBBS." Also someone in his relation was Zilla Parishad Chairman. I realised that I shouted in vain.
               Next incident was in casulty. The patient suffered RTA (road traffic accident) and in every medico-legal case we need to maintain extra documentation. I was asking a few questions to this patient but he was busy in talking to someone who was standing right behind me. I literally lost my temper and shouted at both of them. Do you know what I heard from my behind? "You are a doctor, you should be polite." He continued, "I am also educated, I'm a reporter." I was like... just leave it. It's obvious that I overheard him (because I am a doctor and I don't have the right to argue). After around half an hour, the reporter came to me with a prescription. "Why 'calpol syrup' has been prescribed? The baby is not having fever but he is suffering from a swelling on his forehead." He asked me. I know he has every right to ask a doctor such questions but his intentions were not good.
                It's not that we always come across non-co-operative attendants. One evening when I was busy with paper-works, I heard the sister telling one old lady that she has taught her how to deliver medication once and now she can't do the same. The old lady replied,  "I am illiterate, old and the baby's father is differently abled. You are trained for that or else I would have been a doctor. I don't know anything, you have to help me out." I stopped writing for a moment and looked at her. "You are not illiterate," I murmured. I asked the sister to help the old lady and to attend her every time she gives a call. How would have others reacted if they were in place of that lady? Let me make a guess,"Hello sister, Govt is paying you for this, then why should I deliver the medication to the baby (though he is my son). You'll have to attend my patient or else I am going to complain against you." They would have been like "I am the master and you are just a servant." It  happened many a times with me.

                 Anyway, I know, I have to be happy with my day. It's 1st July, the Doctor's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment