Monday 9 July 2018

A day with The Alchemist

Not always a new place motivates you and particularly when you have left your mom unhappy. Every second, you feel she needs you.
“Got your hostel?” mom asked me over phone.
Oh god! I forget to bring my beddings everyday. “No, you are not a man who forgets something but you are tired each day,” My heart said.
“Yes mom,” I lied.
“Be regular with your meals,” she said.
A few years back she used to remind me to be regular with my studies. She is mom; she knows what you are not regular with. She got me a smile.
“Eyes”, they are good to look at but not in the books. I preferred to take a break from the images , lens, retina and all.
The Alchemist- the novel I wanted to read many days back.
“The boy’s name is Santiago.” I started turning the pages.
Sheeps are so innocent and so is Santiago.
“I want you to go kilometers away and become a renowned eye surgeon,” mom said when my result was declared. “You need to keep your father’s name alive.”
I know she is still in shock following father’s untimely demise. She needs me now. And so was in case of Santiago’s father. He needed him. But you know all is destiny, the omens.                                                                It’s Monday. Madam takes class.
“Where is your torch?” she asked me.
“Ma’am it’s in the bag.”
“Does it need some rest?” she raised her left eyebrow. “You keep it in your pocket always.”
Who would tell her that any light in the desert would invite tribals who are in war. Santiago really needs treasure? Or the destiny? My sister asked me to be a pediatrician and not an eye surgeon. They don’t earn much fortune. But I know, this was the only option left to choose from, to be an eye surgeon. May be she doesn’t know destiny. Destiny is not money or treasure. It is being a part of something you were supposed to be a part of. It’s all maktub.
“Hello, why are you wasting your time reading nonsense?” a friend yelled at me. “Ma’am is going to shout at us. See her in the cabin.”
Oh god! Not again.
“Hey boy, believe in you,” I said to myself and remembered the words the camel driver said, “To die tomorrow was no worse than dying any other day.”
“It’s a month now, can you use your ophthalmoscope?” ma’am asked us.
Everyone stood silent. It’s an omen. A storm is on its way. She signaled me with her eyes to break my silence.
“Yes ma’am,” I replied. “What I can seeinside is circular yellow field like that of a desert.”
“Yes, this is your world now,” she said. “Know that well.”
I won’t get a single patient at my place, I need to settle down in the capital. And this thought tensed me a bit. Uncertainty prevailed in my heart.
Santiago was lucky to be able to cross the desert. He was lucky to meet his destiny. He was lucky enough to meet Fatima-the woman of the desert.
“You have your girl too,” said my heart.
Yeah, but the daughter of the merchant?
“Oh no! Not now. She is your past,” my heart politely told me.
“It’s an omen,” I said to myself having got my answer. “She was an omen.” Santiago got his treasure and returned to Fatima. Why I can’t? Why can’t I settle down in my small town?
“Even the alchemist continued to live in the desert even though he understood the language of the world, and know how to transform lead into gold.” I answered myself,“Your destiny is not becoming rich and getting the treasure but it’s knowing the language of the world.”


To know about Santiago, the desert, the merchant, the alchemist, the tribals, Fatima, the daughter of the merchant and ofcourse the language of the world, the novel “The Alchemist” written by the Brazilian author, Paulo Coelho is a must read. You will know the beauty of destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment