Thursday 20 March 2014

MY DOCTOR DID NOT UNDERSTAND ME !!!


When it's about money, we all become possessive and calculative even if it's to be spent for our health. I remember somewhere read that patients getting negative reports (of tests done) become unhappy because they think their money got wasted. It's true; many of us think like that.
And when it's doctor's fees, people always had complaints. And these days it's been a trend for doctors to take fees even for next-day-review. I don't want to talk on that.

Anyway, coming to the point, I visited a renowned doctor at Silchar. He advised me a few diagnostic tests costing rupees 3100. I was not having that much of money right then. According to the rule, if I had shown him the reports within two days (he was in Silchar for two more days for that month) I would not need any extra fees otherwise had to buy another ticket. I requested the receptionist to do me a favour so that I could show him the reports for free of cost next month. He asked me to talk to the doctor.
"Sir, I am a medical student. I have shortage of money now. It's difficult for me to manage the money within two days. Can I visit you next month with the same ticket?" I asked the doctor.
"Sure, no problem," he smiled.
I let it know to the receptionist and left happily.

But next month, when I asked the receptionist, now he needs proof. After all sorts of quarrel, I paid 400 bucks and met the doctor. Surprisingly, he has also forgotten everything, every promise. After thinking about all the aspects, I tried to make him remember, "Sir, last month, I requested you to consider me to visit you on the same ticket and now they have charged me fees," I tried to smile.
"It's private sector, you have to give some nominal fees..." I interrupted him and started, " No sir, I did not mean that, I....I.."
He called the receptionist and asked to return me 200.
"No sir, I'll not take it. It's okay sir," I said.
He smiled and too politely said, "Don't be so sentimental. It does not help when you are sentimental. Buy some chocolates with this money."

I knew he did not understand me. Had they said that I needed to pay I would have all the tests done by managing money somehow previous month itself. Was the 400 being charged because I did not have money previous month? My angle of thinking fell under the iceberg. The receptionist did not get me, not even the doctor. May be he did not get me when I stressed upon "with the same ticket". I wanted to make him understand but the seconds he was wasting talking to me equal some money. So, I thanked him to come out of his chamber. But really, his smile, his politeness and the way of talking won my heart and compelled me to feel guilty.....

No comments:

Post a Comment