Tuesday 24 December 2013

A SMALL STEP AGAINST CORRUPTION THAT YOU TOO CAN TAKE !!!

On the way to Devdoot from Silchar Medical College near Commissioner Bungalow, the auto rickshaw I was boarded on and a bicycle collided. The bicyclist got hurt but he managed to stand up and went away. My driver was good at heart; he did not run away but stopped the auto by the side.
By then, one of the traffic police on duty came running. He took the key and ran after another vehicle. All passengers left the auto advising him to offer rupees twenty or thirty to the police.
I thought, why should it always start in Delhi? Why not at Silchar? I waited by the auto and assured the driver I was with him. After about 15 minutes, the police came and perused the license and documents. Suddenly his attention focused on me. He asked the driver to leave me. ‘This is not my destination. I will travel to Devdoot,’ I said. The police said he is going to take the auto to the police station. So, I was compelled to stay back. He seized the documents even he did not find anything wrong with them.
After about 10 minutes, a young police man in his thirties came on bike. My driver reached to them who were about 5 feet away from me. The matter got solved. They returned the key.
Now I ran to them. ‘Why did you take money from him?’ I charged the policeman. ‘Where did I take money from him? I did not take any money.’ He said incessantly. ‘Did you give me any money?’ he asked the driver to prove me wrong. And the driver remained quiet for a moment. Hurriedly the policeman showed anger and ordered the other fellow to take the auto to the station.
‘Don’t you people need witness? I am the witness. I will go with you,’ I said and tried be in the auto. The police refused to take me and asked to walk to the station if I wanted.
Everything was happening so fast that I could not plan the way to catch them. I went to the third police on duty to ask the name of the police who took the bribe. But unfortunately he answered, ‘I am here all alone on duty. No one was here.’
I saw no hope and walked towards my destination. On the way, that police who denied taking me to the station stopped me and tried to get me in the auto.  For the moment I knew he has had threatened the driver. Now, I denied sitting in.
After walking a few minutes I rebound back to teach them a lesson. I got the driver by the side of the road. ‘Why didn’t you come with me? I was ready to go to the station,’ he said. Anyway, I was firm while talking to them. Though they took two hundred rupees, I have learnt something today.’ I felt guilty and replied, ‘sorry I could not trust you.’

He gave me lift to my destination. Till now I am feeling guilty but still proud for the small step against corruption.

No comments:

Post a Comment