Tuesday 1 October 2013

WHY DO I LOVE SILCHAR (BARAK VALLEY)?

Silchar? I bet they know about Silchar. Ask anyone from Mumbai or from Delhi or from Bangalore or from Jammu. At least once they have heard this name. It’s a small town in Barak Valley of Assam. The river Barak nourishes this place. It’s my birthplace and I grew up here. I love this place. What makes me fall for her, I don’t know. But sure it’s not my blind love towards her.
Do you know what the greatest paradox of life is? It’s we fight, we war for peace. And the greatness of Silchar is that she never fought for peace but she is always peaceful.
No longer, Silchar is confined to the town only. The airport, the university, the medical college, these all are counted as Silchar. Did you get me? I meant Silchar is not stagnant, it’s growing. Today Silchar represents the whole Barak Valley.
Right from education to career, Barak Valley is best at its place. Now, when I am a teen and needed a good college to get me educated Silchar never betrayed me. The Gurucharan College, the Cachar College, the Ramanuj College and many more colleges stand there still on the soil of Silchar. Though these days it hurts me a little when I see commercialization of these colleges but yet it’s my place. Here I’ll not confine myself to Silchar, the heart of Barak Valley but will talk of the whole valley.
Though unnoticed, Barak Valley is there in the history of Indian independence. Many of us from Barak Valley even don’t know about the “Malegarh”. In 1857 when there was Sepoy Revolt to make India free, Barak Valley also fought for freedom. And the “Malegarh” is the place which bears history of that selfless fight. It’s situated at Latu, a village 14 kilometer away from the Karimganj town.
Not only in history but at present also it stands still with its own identity. The Panchgram Paper Mill and its township are talked about nationwide. The Shonbil; it’s the largest wetland in Asia. The National Institute of India, Silchar is the only NIT in Assam and gives a number of genius engineers every year.
Have you heard of Ronald Ross? He researched on malarial parasite and won nobel prize. He passed a period of time here in Barak Valley and continued his research work.
Leave all these, we have talked a lot about history, colleges, mills. Now, let me tell you the secret what makes Barak Valley a peaceful place. Here, all are religious. Each and everyone know what being religious really means. During any festival, be it X-mass, Durga Puja or EDD, roads are always crowded. Every child comes out of his home to get his share of enjoyment.
Not only this, you go to any place and wait for some time; someone will surely come to talk to you. It does not mean he has no work undone but people of Barak Valley are of this kind. They are very friendly in receiving outcomers but very sensitive about their culture, language and self respect as well. They always try to maintain them. In crisis, everyone gets ready to fight. Whenever anyone tried to hurt their tongue, they answered. They are not coward but polite.
They love; they war and are political too but always caring in making fair decisions. And for all these, I guess I love my Barak Valley. I love my Silchar.
courtsey silchartoday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment